So my meeting last week was a one on one meeting with my district senator (who I voted for which made it super cool!) to explain to her what I had personally been through and why that made it so important for me personally to have the bill pass. The bill doesn't actually go to senate for a while, but we have these meetings in hope that it makes it that far! This meeting was great, the senator was a wonderful person who listened and cared about what I said. I even snuck in another meeting that day in the hallway of the capital with a house representative (who happened to be on the committee today, so a good one to talk to). She wasn't quite as warm. Regardless she listened.

So today the bill went in front of the house of representatives committee, which is open to the public. Firstly our meeting started about five hours late because of protests at the capital. Everyone was pretty tired at this point. First the opposition got up and spoke. One of the things they don't like about SOMB is that sexual offenders are treated as if they will ALWAYS reoffend unless managed and treated properly for their ENTIRE lives. The opposition cries about how a person's life (rapist) is ruined because of one "mistake" (yeah right). It seriously amazes me the amount of denial on their part, and the minimization of the crime. Another thing they don't realize is SOMB doesn't give a cookie cutter treatment for offenders, they are all treated differently. Anyways, it was hard to listen to that testimony, but good to hear the crazy thought processes of the people we are fighting against.

So after the opposition spoke, a bunch of proffessionals came and talked, and it was very informative. The weird thing about the committees is it is a bunch of politicians you are testifying to, and they are all reading, talking, etc. After the professional it was time for our group to speak (mostly all volunteers for CASA like me, but some therapists, lawyers as well). When we got up there the politicians literally stopped doing everything and listened to us speak. It was a small group of survivors all telling their own personal stories (and you only have 2 minutes to talk, usually three but since so late tonight we had to limit our time more). The politicians were empathizing, I was amazed. It was hard to hear everyone's tragic stories. There were a lot of younger childhood abuses, and I was the only one whose didn't happen until teen years.

So my turn to speak comes, and I must say I have had my whole speech written down for a week, timed, and practied in front of people. I got up there and choked. I pretty much didn't say much that was written down :) BUt I said I was a sexual abuse survivor. I had been through multiple sexual assaults in my lifetime. The first happened when I was 15, by 3 men between the ages of 22-25. I said I hesitantly went to the police, and was failed miserably. I told how I was thrown into an interrogation room with a MALE police officer and nobody else (even my parents) to give testimony, only 15 remember. I said how the officer threatened to throw my boyfriend in jail, even though he did not commit the crim, or have anything to do with it, so I dropped the case. Then I said my most recent sexual assault happened in 2006. I went to the police again, and my case was closed, reopen, and closed again. I said how the police officer involved did some research and found my offender was convicted of rape in another state in 1994. I also let them know the reason my case kept getting reopened because other females that I did not know had come forward to the police about being raped by my perpatrator. I then said even with a prior conviction and multiple victims he is still walking free and I have to see him all the time. (One of the big things with SOMB is the propensity to reoffend, and I think the second assault showed this point very well) Then I closed saying how it is obvious how hard it is to get justice served. So when a victim actually gets a conviction it is important to have an effective system in place that assess, manages and treats sexual offenders! (I was going to talk about the lifelong healing for victims, but one of the other women talked about it and we wanted to cover all points)That was my two minutes :)

I couldn't stay late enough to see if the committee passed it, but they would have to be crazy not to. SO if it passes there it goes to the House of Reps, which is a closed meeting. Then if it passes there it goes to the senate committee, meaning I do this again at that level. Then if it passes there it goes to the senate, again a closed meeting. Then if it passes there on to the governer to be passed or vetoed... (I found out it was unanimosly passed in the committee).

Let me tell you how incredibly intimidating and empowering it is to get up in front of a VERY INTIMIDATING group of strangers and share your rape stories... Now I just pray this bill passes... I have also realized that on top of getting my PhD in Psychology I am getting a Masters in Political Science (I never imagined) so I can continue doing this type of work, but on a much bigger scale, and with much more knowledge ( knowing more about what the bills actually are, not just speaking on their behalf).

So now it went to the House floor and it passed there, so next stop senate committee where I will testify again, then if it passes there on to the senate floor, then if passed there the Governer will pass or veto!!!